3, May, 2017 @ 6:00pm
Thank you for your interest in fostering one of the many homeless animals in need at Flagler Humane Society! You’ll prepare an animal for adoption into a permanent home and help prevent overcrowding in our shelter by offering your time, energy and home to an animal in need. The shelter is always looking for more foster homes especially throughout the busy spring and summer seasons. The best part is all you need is love to be an FHS foster parent; we provide the rest. Please email our foster coordinator at email@example.com to learn more.
Fostering is a wonderful experience for you and your family, and you can feel good knowing you have helped save a shelter animal’s life and allowed us to save more animals. Even better, you’ll see your foster pets flourish in a home environment in a way they never can in our shelter. Immature animals, those recovering from surgery and senior pets are most in need of the kind of one-on-one attention that foster homes provide.
Foster homes provide temporary care for companion animals who are not ready to be put up for adoption, from young litters of puppies or kittens to animals recovering from surgery. By offering your time, energy, love and home to an animal in need you can also help socialize pets who may be fearful from abuse and neglect and prepare them for adoption into a permanent home. Some animals only need a home for three days. Others may need a home for three months, but all will benefit from spending time in a loving home environment before they are adopted. Foster homes also allow more space in our shelter so we can expand our reach and save more animals!
How the Program Works
- FHS offers monthly orientation classes for new foster families, which cover the program in more detail and offer training if needed.
- Foster parents feed, groom, socialize and medicate the animal if necessary.
- Foster parents only need to provide time and love, but we appreciate any donation of food and supplies. This allows FHS to feed and provide for more animals.
- When the animal is ready to be adopted, FHS will place it in a home. If you find a potential home, please let us know!
- Foster parents can adopt their foster pet and are given priority, but we highly encourage serial fostering. It’s addictive.
- Foster parents must be able to provide a safe, loving and stable environment for the foster animal until he is adopted.
- Foster parents must be over 18 years of age.
- Experience with animal behavioral or medical issues is a plus, but not necessary.
- Foster parents must have patience, as well as be willing to nurse any injury and/or illness — with the understanding that some animals will not recover from their injury.
- Foster parents must be able to transport their foster animal to and from the shelter and the veterinarian during business hours, should the need arise.
- Foster parents may need to transport kittens and puppies to FHS biweekly for vaccinations.
- Foster parents are responsible for performing basic post-surgical care and administering any medications as necessary.
- Foster cats must be kept indoors at all times.
- Foster dogs must be kept indoors or in a secure kennel when you are not home.
- Foster homes for dogs should have a secure fenced yard or you must agree to take the dog out on a leash several times a day.
- Foster parents may be asked to schedule visits between the foster pet and prospective adopters.
- FHS may schedule visits to potential foster homes.
- If necessary, FHS may remove a foster animal for any reason.
FHS Animal Ambassadors can choose a shelter pet to take home under foster program guidelines, and then become its advocate in the community to help find it a forever home. We encourage ambassadors to choose an animal or breed that they feel they are familiar with and can best represent to potential adopters. The FHS adoption team will discuss your chosen pet in detail and give you all the paperwork to share with any potential adoptive family. All potential homes must go through the FHS Adoption Specialist to complete paperwork and screenings.